The Journey Home: This Is going to Take Some Getting Used To PT 1

Ok, it started at 2am, an ungodly hour to start a journey across the pond, we traveled by bus for four hours! Ahhh! Then we took a flight which seemed to take forever (we had the privilege to be behind a small child who felt he should start a crying marathon) before we ended up on US soil.

Oh the thrills of running to the gate as the plane is about to board except that security has other plans for you as they put your bag through one more time. My husband stood with a tapping foot and glared down to his watch and back to security again (just to let you know this did not speed things up). Finally on the next leg of our flight the family was relieved (no crying babies, yay!)

The second leg of our flight involved and emergency landing in Nashville due to an air pressure drop in the cockpit. Say Whaaat???

Let me tell you that this did not help me in the fact that my husband is terrified of flying. Well, just great! Thank goodness, the flight attendant had already given him his second mini-bottle of bourbon as the plane descended.

In the Nashville airport, the family and I roamed around and explored while we waited for the plane to be fixed, or if we had to spend the night and be put on another flight in the morning. Starving we scouted an open restaurant, it was late in the evening. We eventually settled on an over priced Pizza Hut meal and then headed to the USO.

While we ate we got the word that the plane was fixed, and our connection had been changed to another flight heading to Texas, so instead of arriving at 8:30 in the evening we will arrive close to midnight (yawn…someone just throw me a bed). Thank goodness for the USO and volunteers that staff it. It certainly helped to be able to sit in comfortable recliners and relax until the time for our flight was ready to board.

Finally, we made it to the grand old state of Texas. Tired and jet lagged we happily fell out of the hotel van and headed to our room. It was some time way past midnight and the pull of beds beckoned us to sleep, and we welcomed it. So first some sleep and hopefully the next morning it would be time to explore our new home.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: